Thursday, May 17, 2007

Some visa news

Yesterday Will had to be in Moscow, and while he was there, he found out that my visa invitation was officially refused. So, he picked up the refusal and his invitation and took them to our visa consultant. This consultant knows everything about visas (really!) and has lots of connections. Today he was able to find out why I was refused: my police record! Over a year ago, the police did visit us and start the process of fining us for living here without registering, but those fines and charges were supposed to have been canceled. Apparently, they were for Will, but not for me. However, since that was minor, and more than a year ago, it shouldn't be a reason to refuse an invitation.

Still, with an official refusal, I can't reapply. The next step is to get a leader in the Baptist Union to write a letter explaining the situation and asking for reconsideration. Then our consultant will take that and go higher up than the person who was responsible for the refusal.

Maybe that was too many details, but I know some of you like to know every bit. The main thing is to keep praying that somehow I can get an invitation for a new visa!